YOUR VOICE. YOUR COUNTY. YOUR FUTURE.
The comprehensive plan is a long range plan that helps guide the future actions of a city or county through clearly stated goals, objectives, and policies. These policies inform local decision making and set the tone for future growth and development in the community. We are seeking public input to assist the team in the development of goals, objectives, and polices and to understand the community preferences and desires for the future of the County.
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU!
We have numerous ways to get involved in the comprehensive plan update process. Please consider sharing your thoughts on the future of the community by participating in one or more of the following engagement activities:
Frequently Asked Questions
Simply put, a comprehensive plan is state-required document designed to guide the future actions of a jurisdiction. It presents a vision for a community’s future with long range goals, objectives, and policies. The Comprehensive Plan also serves to:
- Help residents identify their vision for the future of the community
- Coordinate local decision making
- Provide guidance to landowners and developers
A Strategic Plan outlines specific, short-to-medium-term goals and places a strong emphasis on implementation, while a Comprehensive Plan provides a long-term, policy-focused framework for growth and development, mandated by state law. To view the project website for the St. Johns County Strategic Plan Update, please visit https://berrydunn.mysocialpinpoint.com/st-johns-county-strategic-plan-2024-2029/home
Required by Florida State Statues, a comprehensive plan guides the long-term vision of the County and provides policies about growth and change. You can review the County's 2025 Comprehensive Plan at the link below:
St. Johns County Comprehensive Plan
There are numerous reasons why the County desires to update its Comprehensive Plan. Some of the most prominent reasons include:
- Allowing the community to re-evaluate and revise its vision for future growth
- Empowering the jurisdiction to plan, rather than react, to new development
- Providing an opportunity for the community to reexamine its current decision-making practices
- Analyzing and updating level of service standards for public facilities and services
- Identifying and addressing existing and projected opportunities facing the community
- Regularly updating the Plan is required by Florida Statutes
The Comprehensive Plan is broken down into chapters (referred to as 'Elements') which each cover a different topic area. The Elements included within the current St. Johns County Comprehensive Plan are:
- Land Use Element
- Transportation Element
- Housing Element
- Infrastructure Element
- Coastal Conservation Element
- Recreation Open Space Element
- Intergovernmental Coordination Element
- Capital Improvements Element
- Property Rights Element
There are several ways to provide your input on the Comprehensive Plan. One method is to participate in one of the many engagement activities included on the website, such as the online survey, community idea wall, or by reaching out to us directly using the email provided on the bottom of this page. You can also plan on attending one or more of the town halls in the forthcoming town hall series, where the Project Team will host engagement activities designed to get your feedback on the Plan's direction and contents.
The update process is expected to take approximately 18 months, lasting between August 2023 and February 2025. For more details, please see the project timeline included on this page.